Pop Goes The Culture.

How to Look Fabulous at a Super Bowl Party

When think of dressing for parties, I think of wearing a cute dress, some stillettos and jewelry…but adding the word “football” to the prefix suddenly means T-shirts, jeans and (gasp!) sneakers!

What are the answers to questions such as “What do I wear to a football game?” or “How do I make this jersey look cute?”

Considering that 90% of the focus will be on the TV screen, how do you divert the other 10% back to you?  This is a tough question as there is backlash at football games for being too pretty (as if anyone can be too pretty!)

Well the answer lies in the paradox that a girl needs to adopt a “I’m casual-yet-sexy-I-hope-I’m-not-trying-too-hard-look.”

Stiletto Sports recommends these guidelines.

There are 3 cardinal rules to achieve Game Day Chic:

  1. Better to be Underdressed Than Overdressed. You can usually never be too overdressed….except when it comes to tailgating and sporting events. Do not go to a game in a satin dress and heels. You are going to watch a football game, not go for cocktails downtown.  If you attempt a dress, make it casual sundress in a team color and casually accessorize it with flip flops, for example.
  2. Color Coordinate: Be careful what colors you wear. You don’t want to go to a NY Jets bar for the Jets-Patriots game and wear red just because it’s your signature color. Find out the colors of the teams that are playing and plan around that!
  3. Be Comfortable: It’s great that you want to wear your really cute new 5-inch shoes. But keep in mind, football games last well over 3 hours. Be comfortable!

Here are some potential looks:

Be the Ultimate Catch

What hot lately is pairing big, baggy tops over skinny bottoms.  It says, “I’m wearing my boyfriend’s clothes, but I look even hotter than when he wears them!” Remember this ladies:

  1. Don’t go baggy all over. If you are doing a big, loose top, make sure you have slim or tailored bottoms or leggings/jeggings.
  2. Accessorize. If you are going to wear menswear or baggy things that secretly hide your bod, bring out the feminine side with some fun jewelry, hair things and bags to make sure you look like a girl wearing her boyfriend’s clothes (not a girl who looks like her boyfriend.)
  3. It’s all about the shoes. Try booties and boots. You definitely do not want to pair boyfriend-inspired looks with grungy sneakers. Fail!

This girl turned a simple guy's T-shirt into a stylish over-the-shoulder top and added feminine flair with a necklace and over-sized bag while still being comfy!


She did the same, but color-coordinated differently, but opted for skinny jeans, a clutch and added bracelets instead.


The Safety

You can’t go wrong with this season’s staple: the sweater dress.

The perfect sweater dress is all about a cowl, drapey neck and form-hugging blends. Paired with leggings/jeggings/skinny jeans, the look is put-together and stylish without the hassle.

Be Jerseylicious

Don’t worry, this doesn’t require turning skin orange, engaging in GTL or slightly resembling Snooki.  Jessica Simpson got a lot of backlash while sporting a pink jersey while supporting then-bf Tony Romo at a Dallas Cowboys game.  I personally wouldn’t rock a pink jersey. it’s not my style and people tend to assume if a girl is wearing one (preferably adorned with rhinestones) she knows nothing about the game.

Do NOT do this.

There are, however cute options that do relate to this year’s Super Bowl teams:










Team Color Coordinated

The last look I recommend is just to simply wear the team colors in a classy manner.

NFL fans know that the best thing to wear to a game is your team colors. I’m not sure they even let you in an NFL stadium if you aren’t sporting the fan color of the day. But the same look applies to the college football, even if it’s not as strictly enforced! Each team has a dominant color, a secondary “accent” color and an alternate color. Pick one and build your look around that color. Coordinate your T-shirt with your bag and shoes and add some layering pieces to pull it all together. Distressed denim is also a plus!